Sunday, July 8, 2012

Love Letter


Dear Paraguayan Summer,

I know we’ve had some harsh words in the past, and I know I said I never wanted to see you again. But, you see, I’ve been with Winter for a few weeks now, and I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. And I just wanted to say: I’m sorry, Paraguayan Summer. I know I can’t take back all those mean things I said about you, but I wish I could. Please come back. I can’t go on like this anymore.

As I was hanging my last load of laundry on this 50-something Winter day, I realized I couldn’t feel my hands or toes anymore, and wondered if my newly washed clothes would even dry before nightfall at 5pm. I couldn’t help but long for those days we spent together, washing clothes at dawn, enjoying the refreshing splash of the water as I watched your hot sun dry my clothes within minutes... then drinking ice cold beers with  neighbors into the late evening. Tonight it will dip below 45 degrees, and even with the 3 blankets on my bed, I may scarcely sleep better than I did during those sweaty 80+ degree nights by your side. Not even grapefruit juice and whiskey will warm me up enough to sleep well. Sure, those rich enough to have space-heaters may have the luxury of betraying you indefinitely, but as I shiver under the covers I will slip in and out of dreams with you, Summer…

You see, the truth is: It wasn’t you, it was me. Those few months we spent together was my first time dealing with the kind of heat and steam that a Summer like you brings with it. I wasn’t prepared for 100, 110, or 120+ degree days... the sleeplessly hot nights and delusional sun-shiny days. I was so selfishly concerned with the increased likelihood of rapidly growing skin cancer that I didn’t realize all of the beautiful things about waking up with you by my side every day. My eyes were so blinded by your blazing sun that I couldn’t seem to see all the amazing things there are to appreciate about your season.

I hope one day you can find it in your heart to accept my apology, and should you ever decide to come back, know that you can trust me to be stronger, more appreciative, and more accepting of all that you have to offer. I promise that I can change. Please, please hurry back! My life is so cold and dark without you.

Love,
Casey

2 comments:

  1. This was wonderful to read. It is especially fitting for us in the USA since we have been baking in our summer. I too was wishing for winter there for awhile. Thanks, Casey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caseyy, I understand your plight! Im sitting here in the shade, drenched in sweat. My once ice cold water bottle will soon turn into warm bathwater unless i drink it quickly. But i only have to think about how much i hate dreary winter weather and i can do my best to appreciate the heat. Of course being on vacation in croatia and not working in miserable weather does help :) cant wait to see you in a week or so! Soak up as much of the warmth as you can!

    ReplyDelete